Thursday, May 14, 2009

Greed is Good

EOC Week 6
Wall Street, America’s great export industry is a place full of greed and careless behavior. Its compensation system seems to originate on strong incentives, but also involves a lot of competition. I believe that employees should be compensated for their individual performance as well as playing a role as manager and/or team leader. But in the case of giving billions of dollars in bonuses to undeserved employees and redecorating an office for a million dollars, just isn’t ethical. There is definitely a problem there and something very sketchy going on with the system.
The speech that Michael Douglas gave on Greed is Good, was very heartfelt and at the same time kind of gut wrenching! It may be true that some people in this world live and breathe everything they do with greed, but it’s not a lifestyle or life motto to live by. At least in my case it’s not. I think it all depends on the person and the line of business that a person works in. I understand certain people, especially at Wall Street, have to act a certain way that maybe they don’t necessarily want to be. But because of the line of work they are in, they have no choice but to be greedy, snaky, money grubbers, with no soul. The me, me, me attitude is all they have to go by, and in these people’s cases, they either push people out of their way or they’ll get trampled on. Also, I do agree with the point that in general, being awarded for your successes, and penalized for failures, is a real to life statement. Growing up that’s all I knew, and I’ll teach my kids the same lessons. I will not reward them for bad behavior and at the same time, I will not punish the undeserved. That’s seemed to be the issue at Wall Street and it’s just a twisted and sick game that they’ll probably never stop playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment