Thursday, June 18, 2009

My Own Argument

These youths should definitely not be punished for staying true to their own beliefs nor deprived of publicly supported educational privileges. They haven’t shown disloyalty to the Government or to the United States for obeying the laws of God and the bible, in my opinion. Also, from what I can see, they did not want to deny their faith, hence standing strong to their religious convictions.

I must say that I have to agree with the ruling, being brought up as a Jehovah’s Witness myself. I know what it’s like for people to ask questions or stare at you because you do not salute the flag. I’ve always stood up for myself, whether I completely understood why I didn’t do it, starting from a very young age. Growing up, however, I began to learn and truly understand the principles of “the truth.” I was raised from infancy and taught these truths of being a Jehovah’s Witness and actually even to this day; still believe everything I was raised up to be. I regret to say I am not as involved as I once was, but that does not mean I feel I was raised inadequately without certain holidays or activities, as a bad thing. Being brought up without holidays, such as birthdays or Christmas, everyone always thought me, my sister and brother were missing out. I never had it though, so how can I miss it? We had a family that showed us a house full of love and we didn’t have to have a holiday to be given a gift or a sign of appreciation. Therefore, I completely understand where these kids are coming from and I do admire anyone, young or old, that can stand up for what they truly believe in.

"The law has always tried to protect young people from adults who might try to take advantage of them. Until individuals reach what is known as legal age, or the age of majority, they are not legally required to carry out most of their contracts..." Anthony L. Luizzo, J.D., Ph.D. Published by McGraw-Hill, Essentials of Business Law, pg 137

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/historics/USSC_CR_0310_0586_ZO.html

No comments:

Post a Comment